A short ceremony and mass was held on Tuesday, 23rd June, 2020 to inaugurate and bless a newly constructed Regional House and Novitiate for the Congregation of Jesus Mary Joseph(JMJ) located at Asufufu, a suburb of Sunyani.
In attendance were 5 Bishops, Priests, Religious Congregations, Traditional Rulers and Lay Faithful from within and beyond the Sunyani Diocese. Most Rev. Matthew Kwasi Gyamfi, Bishop of Sunyani with support from Most Rev. Joseph Osei Bonsu (Bishop of Konongo-Mampong), Most Rev. Vincent Sowah Boi-Nai SVD (Bishop of Yendi), Most Rev. Peter Kwaku Atuahene (Bishop of Goaso), Most Rev. Dominic Yeboah Nyarko (Bishop of Techiman) cut the ribbon to formally inaugurate the house and subsequently blessed it. Sr. Mary Karickakunnel and Sr. Valsa Koreth, both General Councilors representing the Superior General unveiled the plaque.
In her welcome address, the Regional Superior Sr. Sundari Singareddi was very appreciative of the support the congregation has had from the various Dioceses since coming to Ghana. She prayed for the support of all Catholic so their quest to evangelize will be achieved. She was thankful to the contractor, Mr. Elvis Fosu Agyeman for a marvelous work done. The contractor subsequently formally handed over the keys to the building to the General Councillors who handed it over to the Regional Superior.
A mass was held to dedicate and anoint the Chapel led by Most Rev. Matthew Kwasi Gyamfi. In his homily, he urged the sisters to see the edifice as a place of greater training, prayer and evengelisation. He encouraged them to make maximum use of the facility for the purpose for which it was built so it benefits all who come close to them.
The Congregation of JMJ was founded on 29th July, 1822 under the name: ‘Pédagogie Chrétienne’ (Christian Education). In addition to it, in 1839, the founder gave the name ‘Sisters of Blessed Virgin Mary’ which later was named as Society of Jesus Mary Joseph and now the ‘Congregation of Jesus Mary Joseph’.
Credit: Mr. Emmanuel Taa-Amoako//DEPSOCOM